HELP TO FILL THE BOWLS IN SHELTERS
Basic information about the campaign
PARTNERS | ORGANISERS
NADACE NA OCHRANU ZVÍŘAT | FOUNDATION FOR THE PROTECTION OF ANIMALS
MARS CZECH s.r.o.
NADACE NA OCHRANU ZVÍŘAT | FOUNDATION FOR THE PROTECTION OF ANIMALS
- non-governmental, non-profit organization (*1994)
- protects animal rights and pursues their welfare
- further information: www.ochranazvirat.cz
MARS CZECH S.R.O.
- producer of Pedigree and Whiskas Pet-food
- stands for responsible relationship to animals
- supports animals in need by charity activities
THE PATRON OF THE CAMPAIGN
MARTA KUBIŠOVÁ, the legend of CHARTA 77 and Czech DISSIDENT, the most famous Czech female singer, the Patron and Honorary Member of the Board of Directors of Nadace na ochranu zvířat | the Foundation for the Protection of Animals.
HISTORY | LEGEND OF THE CAMPAIGN
The first annual campaign „HELP TO FILL THE BOWLS IN ANIMAL SHELTERS” was launched in 2009. This year it is the sixth year of this exceptional charity. During the years 2009 - 2013 the campaign expanded with other accompanying activities – for instance „Donate Pet-food to a shelter” and „Give a home to animals from shelters” - implemented for example in GLOBUS hypermarkets in the Czech Republic, or another accompanying activities such as „Feed a dog, note: It is urgent!” or „Feed a cat, note: It is urgent!” and „Fill the bowls, note: It is urgent!” - internet online activities started on the internet portal SpěcháTo.cz. In 2012 we ran the first year of the campaign in Slovakia.
It is a very unique charity in the Czech Republic. This activity has a great impact on animal shelters in the country and represents an essential support to them and at the same time concrete help in the form of donated Pedigree and Whiskas Pet-food. Finances saved on the purchase of the Pet-food can be then used to improve the veterinary and other care for animals, investments to build new hutches, deposits and ranges for animals in Czech shelters (etc.).
The campaign also increases awareness among the public in the area of abandoned, mistreated, abused or tortured animals in the Czech Republic, supports responsible relationship of the Czech public to (not only pet) animals, as well as direct and virtual adoptions of animals from the shelters.
CONCEPT | MECHANICS OF THE CAMPAIGN
- distribution of the questionnaire survey among animal shelters in the Czech Republic, organized by Nadace na ochranu zvířat | the Foundation for the Protection of Animals, completed with results of the Program of Regular Inspections in the Animal Shelters by the State Veterinary Administration of the Czech Republic,
- complete evaluation of the questionnaire survey among animal shelters in CZ, including the results of the Program of Regular Inspections in the Animal Shelters, compiled / delivered by Nadace na ochranu zvířat | Foundation for the Protection of Animals,
- PR – Marketing | Media campaign, press releases, newsletters, press conference and meetings with journalists, launch of the updated internet presentation of the campaign (www.naplntemisky.cz),
- consumer campaign – purchase of Pet-food by Pedigree and Whiskas brands = filling the bowls in animal shelters (dates: 15 August – 15 November), „Help to fill the bowls in animal shelters”. Everyone can join it. By purchasing any Pedigree and Whiskas Pet-food or dental products you are contributing to the donation of Pet-food for dogs and cats in the animal shelters in the Czech Republic.”,
- assembly of the independent Selection Committee for selection of animal shelters that will receive the Pet-food gained from the campaign; the Selection Committee is composed of independent experts – professional guarantors and supervisors in the field (especially vets familiar with issues regarding animal shelters – in CZ such as MVDr. Jiří Dousek, doc. MVDr. Richard Sovják, CSc., MVDr. Milan Snášil, MVDr. Josef Holejšovský etc.),
- selection of animal shelters for distribution of the Pet-food gained from the campaign, the selection is made by the independent Selection Committee and it is based on the complete evaluation questionnaire survey among animal shelters in CZ, including the results of the Program of Regular Inspections in Animal Shelters of the State Veterinary Administration of the Czech Republic,
- the independent Selection Committee evaluates the quality and quantity factors – i.e. information, data, parameters and indicators gained from questionnaire survey among animal shelters in CZ and from the results of the Program of Regular Inspections in Animal Shelters; these are the main factors for the evaluation and selection of animal shelters:
- the quality of the provided veterinary and other care for animals,
- compliance with quarantine / prevention of transmission of diseases,
- procedure of intake and output of animals,
- capacity of the shelter and its occupancy / utilization,
- registration of animals, keeping animal records in accordance with the relevant legislation,
- responsibility of the shelter: active search for information about an animal and its history, providing as much information possible to the person interested in animal adoption, assessment of the candidate for animal adoption and his/her motivation as well as estimation of the success of the animal adoption and recommendation of the animal suitable for adoption (etc.),
- active offering and ensuring of direct and indirect / virtual animal adoptions (assessed by statistical data of adopted animals),
- supporting and ensuring sterilization and castration programs,
- personnel (staffing), financial and material security and equipment of the shelter, secured and sustainable sources of financing,
- availability, accessibility and openness of the shelter (support of animal adoptions) – i.e. Opening Hours for Public, internet presentation, activities on social networks (e.g. Facebook), public events, PR – marketing / media, cooperation with with the authorities of cities and municipalities (etc),
The main criteria for the selection of animal shelters are based on the evaluation of the quality of the provided veterinary and other care for animals, the overall functioning of the shelter on a professional level, acting and operating in legal compliance, the registration of the shelter by the State Veterinary Administration of the Czech Republic, and openness and transparency of the shelter, active offer and support of animal adoptions – finding new homes for animals.
- distribution of the Pet-food to selected shelters, including the decision of the final amount / volume of donated Pet-food, is executed by the independent Selection Committee which keeps a record of its meetings, including the list of selected animal shelters and the final amount / volume of Pet-food donated to each of the selected shelters,
- publication of the list of selected animal shelters and the final amount / volume of the donated Pet-food to each of the selected animal shelters,
- delivery of the donated Pet-food to the selected animal shelters (November - December of the given year),
- handing over of the donated Pet-food to the selected animal shelters, press meetings with journalists in the selected shelters.